Despite Myth #1 (The analysts know everything), there are times when clients, end users or vendors, can stump the analysts with a question. While some analysts will use a great question as a trigger to do research and come up with an answer, others distracted by deadlines or travel won’t think to pursue your issue. Obviously if the question is very company specific you might need to commission special research. However, if the issue is of general enough concern to multiple vendors, other clients, or the market in general it is up to you to make sure that the analysts dig into your issue to come up with actionable insights. Because analysts are constantly talking with players in the industry — IT managers, vendors, press, their analyst colleagues — the analysts can quickly gather some informal data points that will generate useful “ah ha”s.
- If during an inquiry, the analyst indicates that they don’t have data or an opinion about your issue then the client, end user or vendor, should ask the analyst to investigate by asking people they talk to in the next week or two.
- Indicate that you will schedule a follow up inquiry and ask how much time you should give the analyst to accomplish some informal research.
- Schedule the inquiry using the normal client service process
Bottom Line: The analysts can be a valuable resource, but as a client you have to be an aggressive consumer to ensure that you are getting your money’s worth for the analyst services. Sometimes a client will have to pointedly ask their analysts to ask around to gather relevant data points on their issues.
Question: Clients – Have you ever had an analyst refuse a request like this? Analysts – Do you appreciate when a client is being a good consumer and asking you to dig into an issue? When would you prefer end users or vendors not use this technique?
Are you getting the most from your analyst contracts? SageCircle can help. Our strategists can:
- Evaluate the usage of your contracted analyst services and suggest ways to maximize business value from your investment
- Train your colleagues with analysts seats (e.g., Gartner Advisory and Forrester Roleview) through efficient and effective distance learning via webinar or teleconference
- Critique your upcoming analyst contracts to ensure you are getting the right services from the right firms to meet your business needs
- Save you time, money and aggravation
To learn more contact us at info [at] sagecircle dot com or 650-274-8309.