SageCircle has received credible intelligence that IDC has initiated a job action resulting in analyst lay offs. We will continue to provide updates as we learn new information.
- Update: 4/17/09 11:18 am PT -Initial post. Sent request for confirmation to IDC’s press office
- Update: 4/17/09 11:22 am PT – First names added name to analyst list
- Update: 4/17/09 11:54 am PT – Reports coming in that layoffs will be significant and include both analysts and backoffice personnel
- Update 4/17/09 12:51 pm PT – Multiple reports that the layoffs will impact 80+ staff, of which 20+ are analysts
- Update 4/17/09 1:26 pm PT – Name added to the analyst list
- Update 4/17/09 2:01 pm PT – Name added to list; reports coming in that IDC is holding All-Hands meeting
- Update 4/17/09 3:22 pm PT – Two names added to list
- Update 4/20/09 5:03 am PT – Added IDC official statement
- Update 4/20/09 7:04 am PT – Added name to list
- Update 4/20/09 7:42 am PT – Added two names to list
- Update 4/20/09 9:43 am PT – Added name
- Update 4/20/09 11:50 am PT – Added four analyts to list
- Update 4/20/09 12:42 pm PT – Added name
- Update 4/20/09 1:30 pm PT — Added name
- Update 4/20/09 4:00 pm PT — Added two names
- Update 4/22/09 12:20 pm PT — Added three names
- Update 4/23/09 8:19 am PT – Added one name
- Update 4/28/09 1:57 pm PT – Added one name
- Update 5/27/09 2:17 pm PT – Added two names
Of course, layoffs impact real people with families and obligations. Often AR people are genuinely friendly with the analysts they work with and this sort of news can be a shock. Unfortunately for AR professionals, analyst firm layoffs also raise important issues that need to be addressed ASAP no matter how much sympathy they feel for the analysts caught in the layoffs.
IDC Official Statement
- IDC will continue to have more than 1,000 research analysts worldwide which is more than any other technology market intelligence & advisory company. In fact, IDC still will have more research analysts than it did one year ago. For details on recent hiring, please see IDC press release issued on December 8, 2008 indicating that more than 50 new research analysts were hired during the previous six months.
- IDC is focused on providing its clients with the best customer service in the industry. IDC will continue to have the highest ratio of research analysts to client companies in the technology industry.
For background on why firms like IDC are experiencing layoffs please read Are the vendor-centric analyst firms heading for tough times? Will end-user centric analyst firms do fine?
This is the third analyst reduction in force at IDC in less than a year. Others were May 2008 and December 2008.
On March 31, 2009 we reported that Martin Hingley, IDC Chief Research Officer EMEA, was made “redundant” (Martin’s word). That job action appears to be independent of the announcements on Friday, April 17, 2009.
- Arcilla, Aileen – networking semiconductors
- Baker, James – storage software
- Bakhshi, Shiv – mobile devices trends and technology
- Blackmore, Karen – customer operations startegies, Energy Insights
- Corbo, Tracy – enterprise communications infrastructure
- Giusto, Randy – managed the Consumer, New Media, Computing (PC), Consumer Telecom, and Pricing groups
- Gould, Dana – Financial Insights
- Hanson, Andrew – security
- Hedin, Marianne – services
- Holland, Marc – Health Industry Insights
- Joslin, Steve – hight end servers
- Levitt, Mark – collaboration and enterprise 2.0 strategies
- McGinnis, Patricia - corporate banking
- Quirk, Kathy – collaboration
- Pidgeon, Billy – Consumer Markets: Gaming
- Rabkin, Barry – insurance
- Rogers, Sandra – Web Services & Integration Software
- Sandler, Merle – smb
- Schlichting, Wolfgang – storage and enabling technologies
- Shiang, David – infrastructure software
- Strom, Terrance – IT & Cloud
- Wilhide, Kathleen- compliance and business performance management solutions
- Haruki, Eric – TV Markets and Technologies
- Singh, Meera – worldwide telecommunications
What should you do if one your top ranked analysts is caught in a job action?