Startups agonize about buying analyst services – influenced by the myth that analysts are pay-to-play – but then underutilize what they bought. As we always say, it is what you do with the contract that gets you the benefit, not the act of writing a check.
One of the biggest crimes is not using that retainer-based analyst service (e.g., Gartner Core Research or Forrester WholeView) that you spent the big bucks to buy. It is so easy to schedule an inquiry with an analyst. The business value for startups (and other comms and tech vendors) to use inquiry include:
- Building the relationship
- Developing top-of-mind presence
- Gathering market and customer intelligence
- Shaping the analysts’ perception of your emerging market
- Review SageCircle’s tips and tricks about inquiry usage here
- Generate a list of important or interesting analysts at firms where you have contracts
- Add recurring Outlook calendar times to conduct inquiries, at least every two weeks to reserve your time
- Schedule at least two inquiries into the future, adjusting your calendar as needed
- Maintain a list of the analysts contacted so you can rotate through the target list
Bottom Line: Client inquiry is too valuable a tool for startups not to exploit fully. There are so many analysts to talk to on so many topics that you never have to worry about annoying any particular analyst.
Question: Do you make it a point to regularly use inquiry or is inquiry just something you “remember” to do?
Are you getting full value from your contracts with the analyst firms? SageCircle can help. Our strategists can:
- Assist in creating analyst firm contract goals and objectives
- Help you establish a realistic firm checklist
- Determine the best ways to negotiate contact value.
SageCircle strategists understand your opportunities, challenges and priorities because we have been AR practitioners and executives as well as industry analysts and AR researchers. SageCircle emphasizes the use of phone-based inquiry through its Advisory Service, which is your lifeline when you need timely access to an AR and analyst expert to exploit an opportunity or mitigate a problem. Advisory is available through an annual “all you can eat” contract or blocks of two or five hours “by the drink.” Click here to learn more about our advisory services.
To learn more contact us at info [at] sagecircle dot com or 650-274-8309.